When you completely have replaced fats and animal proteins in your diet with an abundance of whole grains, starches, vegetables, legumes and fruits. There is a realignment of the tastebuds which occurs for most people.
An interesting by product of the WFPB Lifestyle is that breakfast no longer means breakfast food. The body craves more of the exact same as it has been consuming. It does not tire of the same but craves the same. A great reason to consume whole foods which deliver the best available nutrients for the body to draw upon when and as needed.
Savory breakfast meals are as enjoyable in the morning as they are for evening. There are even online discussion boards, Facebook Groups specifically aligned for Plant Based Savory breakfasts. People show off their broccoli breakfast and potato stews. It's a secret society to which we proudly belong.
Sure you could have a bowl of Oatmeal, add some fresh fruit (sour cherries my fave) and be satisfied. Often we crave loads of vegetables and either potatoes or brown rice.
Our vegetable steamer is a close personal friend. It steams rice almost every day. Which then goes into either a dish or into the fridge to be available as a base for quick meals. Brown rice with Salsa and Black Beans or Brown rice with Kimchi are also great breakfasts.
The recipe today is basically frozen vegetables mix, onions, brown rice and an oil free sauce. You could use any oil free dressing recipe, this is really a sauce I use for many asian type dishes. We love Ginger and Garlic in a sauce.
Mexican fried rice with black beans and frozen corn in a chili lime vinaigrette makes a wonderful dish as well. Two options have been included. Make up your own if you wish!
TIP: Frozen vegetables are picked when ripe and frozen immediately. They are a great economical healthful resource for dishes when fresh are not available or you are not needing to take the time in preparing. The BONUS is that for oil-free cooking you may add them frozen into the skillet with chopped onions and the water they release cooks all nicely.
Un-Fried Vegetable Rice:
2 Cups cooked/steamed Brown Rice (Cook the night before and place in fridge, cold rice even better but not necessary)
4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1 medium chopped onion
Blender Sauce: (TWO versions PICK ONE)
Sweet & Spicy:
1/2 Cup water
1/4 cup Soy sauce
1/4 cup Vegan hoisin
2 TBSP Sriracha
1 TBSP Maple Syrup
1 Clove garlic
1 1 inch Knob Ginger , sliced thinly
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup water
2 TBSP Mexican Chilli Powder
1 TBSP Vegan Worcestershire
1 TBSP Oregano dried
1 TSP Paprika
(add a Jalapeño to the blender if you wish)
1) Heat a large non stick skillet to medium high, add onions and frozen veggies, sauce until softened, approx 2-3 minutes
2) Add all sauce ingredient to blender and blend until smooth.
3) Add Rice to the pan, mix with wooden spoon or rubber spatula
4) Add 1/2 cup sauce at a time, enough to coat the rice, mix every minute or two. This helps to get the brown bits, the tasty bits from the bottom of pan mixed into the rice dish. Keep adding sauce until absorbed and stir every minute or so, it's a hot pan so don't leave your post . Cook until rice is not dry but not wet at all.
5) Remove from heat and let sit to cool. best served warm not piping hot. Stores well in the fridge for leftovers.