We're addicted to potato waffles. It's no joke. This is how we begin the day, everyday.
Why do we love them so much?
We feel lost without them, we crave their energy to create the day, we lose weight without even blinking so much of an eye. They're magic!
One of the side effects of a high carbohydrate plant-based diet that eliminates added oils is the ability to CRAVE more of that which is so good for you.
What do I mean?
You become the person who connects to your food, your nourishment both as eating for enjoyment and afterward for energy. Its is a wonderful marriage of enjoyment with no downside.
You could create any version. I have another recipe for Potato Corn Cakes up on the blog.
These are for days when you feel the pull toward green energy. These beauties were created with green peas, green onions, green herbs, chopped kale and jalapenos.
The waffle maker is a treasure of an oil free kitchen. Keep it clean with a a damp wipe after using. It can be finicky, waffles can stick sometimes, or the first time.
Do not dismay!
It gets better and better.
If you're looking for an after picture. It never happens. We eat them immediately while they're too hot to handle.
They take time, so cook extra and store in fridge for another morning.
GREEN POTATO WAFFLES:
***THIS RECIPE USES A WAFFLE IRON. YOU COULD USE A NON-STICK SKILLET AND PRESS THEM BUT AS WE COOK OIL FREE THE RESULTS MAY NOT BE IDEAL. INVEST IN A WAFFLE IRON. IT'S WORTH THE RESULTS.
7 MEDIUM POTATOES (WHITE OR YUKON GOLD)
1 CUP FROZEN GREEN PEAS
1 CUP CHOPPED FROZEN KALE (LOOSELY PACKED)
1/2 CUP CHOPPED GREEN ONION
1 JALAPENO SEEDED AND MINCED
1 CUP CHOPPED FRESH GREEN HERBS or 2 TBSP DRIED HERBS (ANY COMBO)
1/2 CUP NUTRITIONAL YEAST
1 TBSP SALT
1/2 TBSP BLACK PEPPER
1/2 CUP PLANT MILK (WE USE CASHEW)
1) COOK THE POTATOES. WE USE A VEGETABLE STEAMER, STEAMING FOR 22 MINUTES. THEIR FLESH SHOULD INDENT WHEN PRESSED. LEAVE THE SKINS ON AND THEN PRESS THEM THROUGH THE POTATO RICER ( A LAZY TOOL THAT ALLOWS GREAT TEXTURE) THEIR SKINS SLIP OFF EASILY AFTER STEAMING.
***IF NOT USING A RICER, YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE THE PEEL AND THEN STIR POTATOES UNTIL THEY BREAK DOWN EVENLY, READY TO INCORPORATE THE OTHER INGREDIENTS.
2) ADD POTATOES TO A LARGE BOWL. THEN ADD THE REMAINDER OF INGREDIENTS.
STIR GENTLY UNTIL THE MIXTURE COMES TOGETHER, SMOOTHLY NO LUMPS.
3) DIVIDE MIXTURE INTO 6 EQUAL PORTIONS. USING YOUR HANDS PRESS INTO NICE GLOBES.
4) HEAT THE WFFLE IRON TO HIGH FOR FIVE MINUTES.
5) ADD THE GLOBES, ONE AT A TIME AND PRESS DOWN LIGHT, MAKING A THICK CIRCLE (APPROX 1") COOK FOR 9 MINUTES.(SET A TIMER)
6) USING SILICON GLOVES AND A SERVING PLATE, OPEN THE IRON UP AND PLACE PLATE UNDER, FLIP OVER AND RELEASE. TAKE CARE TO NOT BURN YOURSELF.